I like to bring separate worlds together. Twilight and Harry potter? I love both! Christian and Feminist? Right here, baby. Paleo and Vegan? We can make it work! I’m on the hunt for recipes that fit in both worlds. I’ve come up with a few simple ones myself and found a couple of others. I am excited to share them on this blog! Here is one to startJ.
Simple Paleo Vegan Sweet Potato Pie
1/3 cup raw macadamia nuts and raw cashews
½ can of sweet potato puree¼ tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1. To make the crust put the nuts and dates in a food processor and process until the mixture is sticky and clumps together.
2. Press mixture into small pie pan ( I used a 2 cup circular Pyrex container b/c I didn’t have pie pans)
3. Whisk sweet potato pie puree with spices, scoop onto crust, and spread evenly.
4. Bake at 350 degrees until sweet potato starts to brown (about 15 minutes?)
5. Let cool and stick in the fridge for about half an hour so that it’ll be nice and firm.
6. EAT IT!!
I decided to make this because I used half a can of sweet potato puree to make salmon cakes and didn’t know what to do with the remaining bit. Pie seemed like a good choice! I definitely broke a Whole30 rule—they tell you not to recreate desserts using Paleo approved ingredients—but ah well. I think this was basically a meal. It had fruit (dates), a vegetable (sweet potato), healthy fats (raw nuts), and spices! AND it was tiny and it still took me 3 days to eat. So even though dates are high sugar and nuts are high fat, I used small amounts and ate small servings so it was definitely healthy. Let me know if you try to make this. I’ve only attempted this once so these might not be the best instructions. But it’s so simple I really don’t think you can go wrong!