Thursday, May 3, 2012

All about sprouts!


Sprouts are an amazingly nutrient dense food (read this very short article to find out why)! A little while after starting my vegan journey last summer I began learning about raw foodism and, consequently, about sprouts--a significant part of the raw foods diet. The books I read encouraged  growing them at home instead of buying them from the store. Many months later I picked up a sprouting jar and a couple packs of seeds from the small health foods store in my neighborhood and gave it a try. My first attempt (I grew alfalfa sprouts) was a success! Since then, sprouting has become a semi-regular practice of mine. Here are some pictures of my most recent sprout fest :):

The process is fairly simple. You soak the seeds for 8-10 hours, rinse them well, and then let them sprout for a few days, rinsing 2-3 times a day.

After 4 days, ready for the harvest!
Pre-rinse. So, I'm actually not 100% sure what type of sprouts these are. The bag I bought said "sandwhich mix" haha. I know there's alfalfa in there and I think mung beans. I'm also guessing clover and radish....
Rinsing well is EXTREMELY important.
Approx 1.5 cups of yummy sprouts
I used the last of my sprouts harvest on this salad today. In case you're wondering, that's a "burger" made from raw almonds, walnuts, hemp seeds, and coconut butter (with some other seasonings and spices of course) over romaine, topped with sweet pea hummus. I threw the salad together on a whim (the burger and hummus recipes are from this guy and this gal, respectively).  I had about 11 minutes before I had to be out the door. I got lucky, it ended up being a terrific combination!  

I hope you'll give sprouting a try!
Toodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment