Thursday, September 20, 2012

No-Energy Collards

For the first time in what seems like forever but is actually probably just some months, I have a cold. I can thank the little booger I babysit (lack of sleep and exercise, poor diet, and my generally stressed out lifestyle) for this one. I am pretty miserable. The worst parts are the runny nose that aslo kind of feels like it's burning (?), the weird feeling in my stomach ( why is that part of a cold, maybe I have my illnesses confused), and my complete lack of energy. Like, I can't even deal with life right now. Except I have to. I have an 8am- 10:30pm (If I'm lucky) day of working tomorrow. Pooh :(.

Anyway, I got home this evening and realized I'd left all of my desire to make dinner at the bus stop  I couldn't even stand the thought of making a smoothie. Yes, the thought of  assembling the blender, cutting up greens and fruit, putting them in the blender with some almond milk and flaxseed, and pressing "blend" on "hi" made me want to cry. It's also a little chilly in Chi town tonight so I didn't really want to drink something cold!

After a few moments of despair, I ate a bosc pear, marshalled my thoughts and asked myself what would require the least from me right then. The bunch of collard greens in my fridge came to mind, and I knew everything was going to be alright.  Now...the only leafy green I honestly actually like is Kale (ooh and cilantro, love cilantro...and spinach, I guess I like spinach). I tolerate the rest. Collards, barely. I don't even like them in my smoothies I've realized. I only buy them because it's important to rotate your greens!  Anyway, they seemed easy and desirable tonight so I went into the kitchen and steamed/sauteed a masterpiece with virtually no effort. The process actually took longer than making a smoothie would have, but it just felt right.

If you're like me and, on a good day, can only barely tolerate collards, try them this way!

No-Energy Collards
1 tbs olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced (or really as many cloves as you want!) or 1/2 tbs pre-chopped garlic
6 large collard leaves, torn or chopped into small pieces
1/4 tsp kosher sea salt.

1. Steam collard leaves for 10-15 minutes (read a book, chat with your roomates, lie in bed and stare at the ceiling while you wait)
2. Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat
3. Add garlic and saute for about 15 seconds (don't let the garlic get brown!)
4. Add collard leaves and sprinkle with salt, Sautee for 3-5 minutes!
5. Pour onto your plate and enjoy!


Dinner is served! (As my little booger likes to say even when it's not dinner time).

No comments:

Post a Comment