Saturday, September 29, 2012

Salad Bowl Blog: Lows, Highs, Chicago VeganMania, and the Man of My Dreams

It's time for another blog post where I talk about a bunch of random things!

  •  I am in a rut. I don't feel well physically or mentally and I am wondering what it is going to take for me to do the things I know I need to do to change that. It's a nasty cycle really. Getting out of a rut requires energy. I don't have the energy because the things I do (or don't do) when I'm in a rut suck my energy. I am so sugar addicted I can't even joke about it, I am grumpy, moody, and super anxious. I am breaking out in hives everyday, my nasal allergies have gone cah-raaazy, and hellooo eczema!  The thought of intense exercise scares me. Seriously, if I think about doing anything more than yoga or going for a walk I want to cry. Sometimes the thought of yoga alone is enough to freak me out. Friday morning was my low point--I woke up, did not want to get out of bed and after about ten minutes of lying there, I spontaneously burst into tears! I want to ask the universe how I got to this physical and mental place?! But I think I know how--unwise choices, busyness, indiscipline, and just plain life circumstances. 
BUT...
  • I am planning to have an amazing week. I am going to be kind to myself by making good sleep, exercise, and food choices and spending quality time with my heavenly Padre. I've promised myself that if I make these good choices everyday this week then I will reward myself at the end of the week by getting my eyebrows threaded! Let's see if this external motivation works. I'll keep finding new rewards every week until spiritual, physical and mental wellness become the rewards (I'm thinking this will take a good, long, while).  



  • This past week did have a some highs though. I wore my rainbow earrings to the place where I volunteer and was hit on by one of our clients.  This was a high solely because the situation amused me intensely and gave me a good story to share. Apart from being amused, I was slightly grossed out--the woman was old enough to be my mother (::GAG::)--and slightly embarrassed because really, how inappropriate!  


  • High #2: I signed up for Chicago's Hot Chocolate 5K and will be running it with a very good friend (in a previous post I mentioned that I planned to do a half marathon at the end of October, definitely not happening anymore).
  • High #3: I'm picking up the CSA box for one of my friends who will be out of town this weekend and I get to keep all of the produce! Fresh produce excites me. FREE fresh produce!!?!!! Well...that's pretty orgasmic.
  • High #4: About half an hour after my mini breakdown on Friday morning, I got a fantastic phone call from the Executive Director of the place where I volunteer telling me that I'd gotten the job I'd recently interviewed for there. Ahhh!! I will dedicate a post to this sometime in the near future but for now just know that I am extremely happy about it! I'm just going to have to hide from Ms. lady who reminds me of my mom (::GAG:: again).
  • High#5-I got offered another Netflix free trial. I think this might be my 10th one but c'mon, who says "No, thanks"to a Netflix free trial? This is a great thing because there are several food and nutrition documentaries that I've been wanting to watch and most of them are available on Netflix. Also, the third season of The Vampire Diaries was just put on Netflix. TVD is one of my absolute favorite shows. I missed the entire last season so getting to catch up on it has made me so happy-- Mmmm Stefan Salvatore.


  • Today was Chicago VeganMania! My friend and I were one of the first 100 people in line so we got goodie bags full of vegan...goodies. It was mainly snack food, a few treats (including a peanut butter cup  and superfood fruit chew mmmm), coupons, informational flyers, and tiny beauty product samples.

The bag itself was pretty sweet too. I had a good time. I ate lots of samples, and got to hear the author of one of my favorite blogs , as well as the author of  eat vegan  on $4 a day, speak. I left motivated to make a lovely vegan meal plan for this upcoming week. I'm writing this post instead, but that meal plan is next.

Vegan goodies

You can never have enough reusable bags!

  • Upon leaving the vegan fair today I saw someone who I am sure must be one of the most delightful men in Chicago, if not on the planet. He was [one version of] the man of my dreams. Now, what I am about to describe might sound a little scary at first but try to keep an open mind. He was white with waist long blond dreads. He had tattoos all over his arms and a few on his face too. He had HUGE ear gauges, and a septum piercing. He was well built (SO well built haha) and had a wonderful smile (his teeth were so straight and white) and a very handsome face even with the tattoos. He was walking his dog :). His appearance was just so off the wall and badass but the way he smiled and interacted with people outside of the fair contradicted that "image." I loved it.  If I ever see him again it's going down. I don't know what "it" is yet, but it's happening. I think I was so intrigued because he's the male version of the way I sometimes want to look (minus the face tattoos)! I want to grow long dreads,  pierce my septum,  get a tattoo going down the length of one of my arms, and get ear gauges--small ones. I love the way these things look...one day folks, one day.
Ok, that is all the randomness I have for now.

Until next time :).

Yummy vegan peanut butter chocolate pretzel cup from Chicago VeganMania!


No comments:

Post a Comment