Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Paleo Trial: Days 13-15

Ok,

I'm just going to come right out and confess. On Saturday night (day 15) I ate popcorn and Hot Tamales (the candy)!!! My roommates and I watched The Shining, in honor of Halloween weekend and those were our movie watching snacks. The good news is that the popcorn was fairly healthy since we (well, they) popped it from the original kernel, in a pot w/ olive oil (as opposed to the not so healthy microwave variety). My body definitely reacted though. Within 5 minutes I was super bloated! The bloating lasted for hours, in fact I was still bloated when I went to sleep and felt pretty uncomfortable when I woke up the next morning.  And that morning, Sunday, I put a bit of raw honey and stevia in my tea! And after church on Sunday I had a little pumpkin ball thingy that a friend of mine made, the ingredients of which included maple syrup, rolled oats, and sugar. AND that same friend gave me a few slices of a pumpkin loaf she'd made the previous evening. The loaf was made from almond flour and thus completely grain free and "essentially" paleo-friendly but there were maple syrup and chocolate chips in it! Then I had some more Hot Tamales on Sunday night because the huge bag was in our living room and it was literally calling out to me. Ok, not literally, but still. Overall, I don't feel bad about my minor Paleo deviance. According to the Whole30 people I technically need to start the 30 day trial over because I interfered with my body's resetting process. According to Loren Cordain (author of The Paleo Diet), however, everything is alright, I've just used up my "open meals" for the week (although those things don't qualify as "meals" really) and I'll always be fine as long as the majority of the food I eat is strictly Paleo! So. I am ok. I think I am going to tack an additonal 2 days on to my trial though to make up for Saturday and Sunday.

Day 13
Meal 1
Hot water w/ lemon
Green smoothie #3 "Mangolicious Strawberry-Mint" -strawberry, mango, mizuna, mint, water, ground flax, cinnamon, soaked almonds, dash of sea salt. I'd give this one a 6. Again, just not sweet enough.
3 Salmon cakes
Snack
Jasmine green tea
Banana
Dried fig w/ a few raw macadamia nuts
 Meal 2
Chicken breast
1 cup lettuce
½ avocado
An orange
Snack
2 figs
Handful of macadamia nuts
Salmon cake
Meal 3


Garlic Shrimp  (I cooked an entire bag of frozen shrimp and ate nearly ¾ of it in one go!!)
1 cup Russian kale sautéed with olive oil and garlic
Small piece of paleo sweet potato pie
Peppermint tea
Day 14
Meal 1
Hot water w/lemon
Green tea w/ a touch of raw honey (gasp I know I cheated)
banana
Green smoothie #6 “Vanilla Chai” smoothie- 2 cups greens (mix of kale, mizuna,and  chard), figs, soaked chia gel, soaked almond, soaked sunflower seeds, avocado, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla extract, dash of sea salt, ice....meh. I guess i'd give it a 6.5/7. I was impressed that you couldn't taste the greens. And I suppose it did taste "chai"-ish. I just didn't like it a whole lot overall.
leftover broiled garlic shrimp
Snack
1 fuji apple
Meal 2
2 cups steamed cauliflower
1.5 Salmon cakes
2 small clementine oranges
Small piece of paleo- friendly sweet potato pie
Meal 3


Grilled chicken salad from Leonas w/ Italian dressing. I should have learned my lesson about dressings by now. I doubt it was Paleo approved. I felt very allergy-y after eating it. I need to make my own dressing
My salad came with an amazing looking loaf of bread. I nearly cried b/c I wanted to eat it so badly. I gave it to my roommate though. Sigh. The no bread thing is just getting harder and harder.
Day 15
Meal 1
Green smoothie #7 "Choc-Chai Smoothie" -2 cups mizuna, soaked sunflower seeds, soaked almonds,  water,  soaked chia gel, avocado, figs, dates, cacao powder, ccinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, dash of sea salt. Again, impressed by the no-greens taste but wasn't a big fan over all. 6.5/7.
Meal 2


Left over Leona's Salad mix
Can of sardines ( I made a sardine salad!)
Roasted red onion
Rest of paleo sweet potato pie
Snack
I roasted a whole chicken on my own! I need practice lol.

2 tiny roasted chicken wings (this was unintentional. I was cutting/tearing my roast chicken into pieces and the next thing I knew there was a tiny, crispy chicken wing in my hand and i thought to myself "I can either put this in the container or just eat this little thing right now!" I chose the latter. Same story for the 2nd wing.
Apple,
Small taste bites of bbq country style pork ribs
Meal 3

Handful of grapes
slow cooked bbq country style pork ribs (my first time cooking pork. HUGE success :D)
Salad (STILL had leftover salad from Leona's)
Banana
Peppermint tea

Oemmgee- popcorn and hot tamales, my “open meal” while watching a movie with my roommates….super bloated. FOR HOURS.  Still bloated as I go to sleep typing this.

 
So I am behind on updating. As I type this I've just completed day 18. I'll share what I ate days 16-18 tomorrow! I must say I don't know what I'm currently making of ths diet. The novelty has worn off some and I miss being an aspiring vegan. More on that later, though. Who knows, I might feel differently in another 2 weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment