Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Paleo Trial: Days 7-9

Hey!

I am a little behind on updating but don't worry, I am still going Paleo strong! The past couple of days have not been great though. I have been craving bread like a crazy person. Due to poor planning, and I think not having enough meat in my meals, I have been snacking too often. I made the mistake of buying dried mango slices from Trader Joes this weekend. They were pure mango--unsweetened, unsulfured-- but still a big problem! They were very addictive. I kept wanting (and going back for) more. I have also been eating way too many raw cashews! In It Starts With Food, the authors classify sugar, processed foods and refined foods as "food with no brakes" because they are so easy to over consume. I've realized that even though dried fruit and raw cashews are healthier than a lot of things I could be eating, they still fall into the "food with no brakes" category for me. I can never stop at one serving of these foods, so I really need to be careful with them. Another not good thing--I made muffins. Apart from having 1/2 tsp of baking soda, they were made with all "Paleo" ingredients--Almonds (ground into almond flour, eggs, coconut oil, banana, apple, cinnamon)--but they also proved addictive even though they weren't really sweet. I made them for my small group meeting but ended up having 4 left over. I ate all 4 of them today. Sigh.

But I will not dwell on that. Instead I'll focus on the fact that I haven't had any sugar, gluten, or dairy for 11 whole days. I am proud of myself. I am nearly halfway through my 30 day trial!

Here's what I ate on days 7,8, and 9. (I am just copying my food journal from MS Word into this post so it's going to include the random thoughts I had while I typed up what I ate each day)

Day 7
Meal 1
 2.5 cups Green smoothie-soaked almonds, water, kale, pear, banana, flax oil, flaxseed
2 scrambled eggs
Meal 2
4 cups chicken soup,
¼ cup cashews
5 olives
Meal-ish 3 or snack


1 large pear sautéed in ghee and cinnamon with 1 tbs raw almond butter.

 Very rough day. I waited too long to eat lunch…poor planning/ unfortunate circumstances so by the time I got home I was ravenous! And the chicken soup just didn’t cut it for me. I had 4 cups! And was hungry not too long after and I didn’t have anything paleo approved that was easily fixable (time do a little grocery shopping!) and then I just really wanted to order pizza. Ahh!

Day 8
Meal 1
2 fried eggs
1 pear
1 banana
¼ cup raw cashews
Meal 2


Lunch at Global Café -Large chopped cobb salad romaine, baby mixed greens, chicken, tomatoes, cucumbers, pumpkin seeds, avocado, bacon, hard cooked egg, balsamic vinaigrette. It also came with blue cheese but I asked them to leave that out. I am pretty sure the balsamic vinaigrette had some no-no ingredients in it…but oh well.

I feel a hard period coming up. Since yesterday evening I’ve really wanted bread or some kind of pastry! I would even settle for sweet potato fries! Ughh. It’s so bad that I almost cried today while having lunch (meal 2) with a friend as I explained to her how much I REALLY REALLY wanted some bread.
Snack
Another banana
Raw baby carrots


Cup of strawberries
Another ¼ cup raw cashews

Feeling a weird kind of swelling in my throat.
 
Meal 3


½ cup steamed mixed veggies
Curry goat w/ parsnips
1 plantain, half fried, half baked

Day 9= Disaster!!
Meal 1
Smoothie- 2 tbs soaked chia seeds, ¼ raw soaked almonds, 1.5 cups water, 2 lettuce leaves, ½ avocado, 1 frozen banana, 1 tsp green superfood powder “Amazing Grass” brand—yech.
Meal 2
Curry Goat
Strawberries
Carrots
Raw cashews
Banana
Meal 3,
Dried mango
Dried mango
Dried mango
Cashews
Macadamia nuts
Dried figs
Munch munch munch
Meal 4


Pan fried dover sole fish (never again buying this type of fish!)
1 cup spinach sautéed
½ avocado
I put waay to much salt on the spinach and fish L.
Oh and I’m eating dinner at 12:28 am this day is officially a fail for food.
The good news is I went grocery shopping all day today and am pretty prepped for the week.


There you go! I want to say that Days 10 and 11 were better but you can be the judge when I post about them tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I'm really enjoying following your journey! How are your physical ailments doing so far? Any improvements?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, i'm glad! Ehh, no significant improvements really :/. I haven't broken out in hives in a couple of days but I don't want to get too excited about that yet. Thanks for asking!

      Delete