Thursday, April 19, 2012

Gluten-free 1,2,3!

Hi!

So I've done pretty well this week with my eating. Going gluten free actually has not been that big of a challenge. When you think about it, there is no reason why wheat and wheat products have to be in every thing that we eat! Just another sign of imbalance in our food culture (definitely a future blog post!) Anyway, "Gluten free 1,2,3 !" was the name I came up with on Wednesday (yesterday) when I was thinking about what to put in this post. At that point I'd been gluten free for 3 days so it worked haha. I was not gluten free today however, because...

...Last night  I found out that gluten might not be the culprit behind my latest skin ailment. The problem might be bed bugs!! I won't get into too much detail with that story but you can't imagine the horrible nervous breakdown I experienced upon realizing that that could be the issue. My hysteria gradually worsened as I did more and more research on bed bugs and their habits. Ahh! I promptly moved to my sofa which really was not an effective move because, according to what I've read, it'll only take them 2-3 days  to "sense" my new location, make their way over to the sofa, and continue to bite me and drink my blood while I'm sleeping!!! Gah! If you ever want to be seriously disturbed, research bed bugs. Fortunately the pest control man is coming on Saturday morning so I figured if I sleep on my sofa two nights, then move back to my room for one night, I might successfully avoid them...or spread them around my condo even more. We'll see. I actually won't even know for 100% sure that I have bed bugs unitl the PC man does his inspection and takes a look at the "sample" I found. A friend of mine who had bed bugs a little while back looked at my specimen and said that it wasn't a bed bug. Welp, I'll know soon.

So with bed bugs replacing gluten on the hot seat I took the opportunity to eat a few more of the patties that I made on the weekend. Haha. I do plan to return to my gluten free ways in a couple of days though. Even if it turns out that bed bug bites were indeed the cause of my skin inflammation, I still want to see if eliminating gluten from my diet has any noticeable effects.

What I ate on days 1,2, and 3:

My goal was to have a picture of every single thing I ate and to post a detailed day by day list but I didn't/don't have the time for that. In general I had a green smoothie for breakfast. Each day I blended slightly different combinations of the following ingredients--various greens (collards, mustard, turnip), kale, or spinach, half an avocado, 1/2 cup frozen strawberries, 1 banana,1 tbsp flax or chia seeds, 1/4 tsp kelp, homemade raw almond milk and/ or water to blend. And then at some point in the day I would have an orange, another banana, baby carrots, an apple, oatmeal w/ a tbs of chia seeds , a slice (or two) of gluten free buckwheat-oat cinnamon bread  that I baked on sunday (I got the recipe here) with some almond butter, raisins, and a grain/bean combo for dinner.
Here are some food pictures from the last few days!
I was so happy with this smoothie, the consistency/texture (smooth and creamy!) and the flavor (strawberry heavy!) were perfect! Im going through a phase where I'm really loving having a strong banana- strawberry flavor in my green smoothies!
Lunch one day: carrots and apples; a slice of "Cinnamon Coconut Raisin Bake and Oatmeal!  
Soaked black beans. This was my first time ever using organic black beans. What a difference! I've never seen such vibrant color from my regular "Goya" beans!!  
"Spicy Black Beans"- Got the recipe from a book I was reading! Ah-mazing flavor. I ate this with brown basmati rice!
Stir fry! No recipe here :)!
Okie dokes. That is all. Send prayers my way as I battle these bed bugs (that might not actually be there?) !

No comments:

Post a Comment