Friday, August 10, 2012

The "real" me (?), Day 7, and an article worth reading.

Do you ever say something in your head in a certain way and want to say it out loud but stop yourself because you realize you're the only one who knows you speak that way or say things like that? Well, tonight as I was walking home from a friend's apartment and thinking about writing a post to describe my 7th day of this gluten, dairy, and sugar free life, the first thing I thought was "IT'S DAY SEVEN MUTHAF*CKAHHHS!!"  Now, I don't know a single one of my friends, even the closest ones, who wouldn't look at me like I was crazy if they actually heard me say something like that in the way I thought of saying it. I think I think in one voice, speak in another, and write in another. I'm not sure which one's the most "real" or if they're even as separate as I think they are...

ANYWHOO...

Day 7 Muthaf*ckahhs!! (Hehe). Sorry, no pictures. Today was just too busy:

Breakfast: Green-ish Smoothie: 1 banana, 1/2 Avocado, 1/4 cup blueberries, 2 big handfuls baby romaine lettuce, 1 heaping tbs ground flaxseed, 1/2 tbs fresh lemon juice, and water to blend.

Lunch: Leftover gluten-free, vegan pizza from last night

Dinner: Veggie Burrito Bowl from Chipotle- brown rice, black beans, fajita veggies, mild salsa, corn salsa, lettuce.

Snacks: "Key Lime Pie" Lara bar, 2 bananas, 1 clementine, potato chips (I know! bad choice..but they were kettle cooked?), pistachios.


Ahh, 7 days complete! How do I feel? Irritable, like I might be coming down with a cold, and like I really want a bar of yummy dark chocolate. But also very pleased with myself, lol, and excited about meal planning for this upcoming week! I'm also now more aware of how much I use sugary things as happy pills!  This week, at the end of every day, the time of day when I'm most likely to be grumpy, I'd find myself thinking about which sweet goody I could eat for a little pick me- up. And then I'd remember that I wouldn't be eating ANY sweet goodies for a while. And I'd think, "Well, EFF!! What's going to make me feel better now?!" Then I'd go home and grumpily cook and eat my NOT SWEET dinner, and there'd be a voice in my head asking "Sooo...you're really not gonna have a cookie with that?" Womp. Lol. I am comforted though that in another week I should be over the hardest part of this!

I will leave you with a link to a really great article I read tonight called  "What Your Body Is Trying to Tell You: Common signals you shouldn’t ignore." Read it here! I promise it will be worth your while!

Here are a few excerpts that I really appreciated:

"Taking the time to decipher the body’s codes is always better than simply popping a pill and hoping the symptoms just go away. Ideally, we want to get to the causes of problems, not just suppress the end result of ill health.”

"Western medicine has many strengths: stamping out infections; treating emergencies, like heart attacks; and swooping in with trauma care after an accident or disaster. But when a condition is hard to diagnose, or is chronic or nagging, like poor digestion, insomnia or general fatigue, going outside the doctor’s office may be your best bet.

“Most medical-school curriculum focuses on acute care and doesn’t adequately train for chronic health issues — which constitute the most common troubles for most of the patients they see,” says Elizabeth Lipski, PhD, CCN, and author of Digestive Wellness (McGraw-Hill, 2004).
As both a medical doctor and a naturopath, Elson M. Haas has a foot in each world. He tends to agree with Lipski’s take, and he also sees limitations in the way that Western medical practitioners typically try to snuff out the body’s attempts to heal.

“Many symptoms, such as sinus congestion, allergies and excess mucus, are ways it’s trying to rid itself of excess toxins,” he says. “Western medicine tries to control these symptoms, by suppressing the fever or drying up the congestion, instead of supporting the body’s natural means of elimination and detoxification.”

Ok that is all friends,

Night!

1 comment:

  1. lmbo!!!! I seriously lol'd while reading this. There's a strange person that lives in my head as well...she escapes a lot though lol

    ReplyDelete