Thursday, March 15, 2012

"FC" update and new eats!

FC stands for the "foundational challenge," I wrote about in my last post. The update is that IT'S NOT GOING WELL! Although I've managed to do everything I said I would, I haven't managed to do it all on the same day :\. An hour of quiet time? Sure. With a side of cookies, candy, and chips, hold the 30 minute workout. That was my day today. Thirty minutes of exercise? You bet. On 5 hours of sleep minus quiet time. Because who can do quiet time on 5 hours of sleep? (ok, alot of people, but still). That was my day on Tuesday. SIGH.

 A very good friend of mine used to always say "My life is in shambles!" whenever I would ask how she was doing. That phrase is mine right now. I thought it on Monday as I rode the train home from a long day of volunteering and babysitting, knowing that I probably was not going to study for my chemistry test the next day, Tuesday as I shoved a Jimmy John's vegetarian (not vegan :\) sub down my throat after excusing myself from chem class early, yesterday as I stared at my spotty kitchen floor and the pile of dirty dishes in my sink, and today as I tripped over a pile of clean laundry while getting out of bed.  But it's ok, I am going to get this together.

Anywhoo, even though my diet has been faaaaaaaar from perfect this week, I did actually spend some satisfying time in the kitchen. Here is some of what came out of that time!

Smoothie, of course:
Greens: Swiss chard, mustard greens, spring salad mix, cucumber; Fruit: kiwi, banana, avocado, date, 1/2 lemon; Protein boost: 1/2 cup black beans;  Extras: chia seeds, wheat germ, flax oil; water and 1/2 cup unsweetened soymilk to blend!


Generally the amount of smoothie I try to drink daily!



Mommy would be proud-- trying my hand at some bammy and ackee:


Cassava "flour", aka, grated cassava squeezed dry
Shaped into flat 'cakes' fried a little on both sides, and soaked in soy milk...i think coconut milk would have been better. U baked them for about 20 minutes after this!
Ackee! I must admit that it was not quite the same without the saltfish. But it was still very good and I think I'll make it with the "tofish" next time (Tofish is legit ok?! It's in my jamaican vegeterian cookbook..)

Who says you can't be Jamaican and vegan?


Betchya can't guess what this is going to be! (of course you can't, no one could).  
mashed chickpeas, celery, nutritional yeast, vegan mayo, kelp granules, sweet pickle relish, onion powder, low sodium soy sauce...
Well there're many names for it, "Mock Tuna Salad," Fake-out tuna sald, Tuno Salad...The important thing is that it tastes amazingly like the real deal (and is alot better for your heart)! I will give you $5 if you make it and can honestly say that it doesn't taste just like tuna! Four...four dollars.

My attempt at preparing food for the week:
Quinoa "salad made from quinoa, chickpeas, carrots, onion, raisins, apples, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, lemon juice; homemade whole wheat bread that i nibbled on before taking the picture :\, leftover bammy and ackee, leftover quinoa, brown rice, roasted broccoli (one of the best things ever), and mock tuna salad.

Thank the Lord that it's Thursday night! Although I have a long day of trying not to strangle taking care of children tomorrow, there's no chemistry class to attend afterwards, and no babysitting or class to have to wake up for the next day! I have been saying this since January, but THIS weekend, God-willing, will be the weekend I organize my life and get caught up on everything. No more shambles for me!

2 comments:

  1. gosh, all of these recipes inspire me to do better...and then I crave a hamburger :/ I would like to taste one of those everything in the sun smoothies though. I've been playing it safe with 1 or 2 greens, almond milk, and a fruit. Black beans in a smoothie?! Paradigm.shifted. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha :). I would love to share one with you sometime soon! Yeah, I remember when I learned about putting beans in smoothies...it was extremely exciting!

    ReplyDelete