Thursday, March 8, 2012

For the sake of animals: a quick spiel from a vegan non- animal lover

I am not an animal lover in the least. This is something I used to be very vocal about. PETA would piss me off and I had a very hard time understanding the love of a pet owner for her or his pet. I would never kick a puppy...but I would never be the first in line to hug one either. I went vegan for health reasons mainly and at the time, I had a vague idea of the problem of factory farming and a pretty disinterested attitude towards the whole enterprise.  As I did more reading and research on veganism, however, I encountered more and more literature on the state of factory animals. And I was horrified. 


I’m not the vegan who thinks that animals are “equal” to humans (I’m sorry, I’m not!). Still, I believe we are supposed to show them some honor as being part of God’s creation. The current (dominant) system of preparing animals for consumption, i.e factory farming, is completely devoid of that honor and it says something frightening about the lack of compassion in our hearts as we continue to abide by it. 


The disturbing thing was that as I learned more, I began to see how unnecessary animal abuse for the sake of food production clearly reflected a deeper malignance in the human heart. A person who could easily ignore, laugh off, or perpetrate animal cruelty, could easily act in the same way towards humans (and isn't that actually the exact state of our world). Cruelty in any form, towards animals or people, stems from the same warped heart.

And then I began to feel for the animals personally. It was the most unexpected feeling--a deep sadness for beings who couldn't live any of the life God created them for in the way He intended them to live it. From different scientific studies we know that animals have significant mental capabilities (not just cats and dogs- all of them ). This makes me believe that their intended destiny was never a tiny, dirty cage, in a factory.   And although animals were not the cause of my life shifting dietary change, they have becone one of my main reasons for committing to it for the long haul.

From a biblical perspective there is nothing wrong or sinful about eating animals. There IS, however, something very wrong and sinful  about  our present food industry where factory workers are at best indifferent to animal cruelty and at worst gleeful in partaking in it. There is a problem when consumers have an idea that something is wrong but do nothing about it. Factory farming is cruel, filthy, and despicable period.  God created animals...maybe to be eventually eaten, but definitely not for a caged, diseased life.  

For a seriously eye-opening-without-being-sensational account of animal suffering in factory farming, I would recommend picking up Skinny Bitch and reading the chapter in the book dedicated to the topic ( I can't remember the name of the chapter).  


Also  take a looksie at this article. It’s short and [not so] sweet, and will make you think!


Finally, This is a short, comical, informative animated video about factory farming that also touches on injustices beyond animal cruelty. Enjoy!


 
 P.S. you most defnitely do not have to be a vegan or vegetarian to take a stand against the cruelty inherent in factory farming!

No comments:

Post a Comment