Monday, March 19, 2012

I heart Sundays

Unfortunately the chem book was just for show. Despite my best intentions, it stayed closed on that table allllll day. I did drink the tea though. Mmm :).

Although I struck out with studying, I hit a homerun with...ok I can't do it, the baseball analogy is too corny. Let's just say it was a great day for cooking!

Ingredients for my breakfast smoothie:
1/8 cup soaked Goji berries, 2 oranges, 1 banana, 1 cup homemade almond milk, 1 tbs flax oil

It wasn't green!

I let myself off the green-smoothie- hook because I had this green heavy salad for lunch:
Spring salad mix, cherry tomatoes, quinoa, dressing. I added raisins post-picture.
The dressing for the salad was homemade, I got the recipe here.  The ingredients were:

Balsamic vinegar, chili powder, onion powder, cumin, avocado, onion, clove of garlic. ( I also added some apple cider vinegar...and then water and agave nectar b/c it turned out too sour :( )


Then I had this blended green soup  for dinner:
I'm proud of this soup.  I just threw things together and it was a sucess! The "recipe" : approx 2 cups swiss chard, 2 garlic cloves, a handful of cherry tomatoes, 1 parsnip, 1/2 of a cucmber, leftover homemade salad dressing (described above), and water to blend.

I topped the soup with black beans (I'd cooked about 3 cups of them earlier in the day)  and a "drizzle" of flax oil.
With dinner I had a couple of slices of this "Chickpea Bake." I found the recipe on one of the blogs I follow and am really glad I did. I bought some chickpea flour a couple of months ago and soon found that I was not a fan of the flavor by itself. It's a winner, however, when you add some spices (and milk, and applesauce)!

Finally, I ended the day with making some Challah Bread, Sweet Potato Chili, and Lentil Salad :
So dangerous to make. Between last night and now I have consumed about 2 cups of flour :\.





Ahhh cooking (and blending and baking) :)!!!!

If I could only be so enthusiastic about chem.






2 comments:

  1. everything looks so good! How did you make the almond milk? and, did you heat the soup?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Making almond milk is really simple! You soak raw almonds for 6-8 hrs or overnight* and just blend with water (1:4 nut to water ratio) the next day. You can add sweetner if you want, I usually blend everything with dates or agave. And you can add vanilla extract to make vanilla almond milk.

      *soaking isn't strictly necessary but I always do it b/c it makes blending them easier and makes the nutrients in the almonds more absorbable


      Sometimes I'll gently heat my green soup on the stove, just until it's slightly warm.In this particular instance I did not. It gets a little warm on its own if you blend it for more than 2 minutes.

      Delete