Friday, March 16, 2012

No Veggie Left Behind and other randomness

Yesterday when I arrived home from what was approximately my fourth trip to the grocery store this week, went into the kitchen and was confronted by spring salad mix past its expiration date, something inside me declared, "That's it! From now on there will be no more veggies left behind!" Although they tend to be less of an issue, I added fruits to the resolution as well. I have decided that I will finish ALL of the fruits and veggies (even the frozen ones) in my apartment before I make another trip to the grocery store.  Even if thatt means eating defrosted brussel sprouts for a week straight. The way I shop for groceries, you'd think I was rolling in it ("it" being money). The truth is, if I continue with my current shopping habits I might never go hungry, but I juuust might end up homeless.
                         
       Money for  Shopping Spree at Whole Foods > Money for Rent

My priorities are slightly skewed.

In a previous post I wrote about how much I love getting groceries. I made light of it but the truth is I might just have a litto grocery shopping addiction (ok, how many times have i said "grocery," and "shopping" already in this post?) and I get so excited about getting "new" food that I neglect to make the most of what I already have. That is no bueno.

So this is what I've got:
Swiss Chard, a few leaves each of of red kale and mustard greens, carrots, a couple of parsnips, 1.5 cucumbers, a pack of frozen spinach, 3/4 pack of frozen brussel sprouts, spring salad mix, 1.5 romaine hearts, celery, a sweet potato, 2 avocados, some beets, beet greens, 2 onions, scallion, oranges, a bunch of banans, 4 lemons, 1/2 pack frozen blueberries, ginger, 1 plantain, raisins, about 15 dates, and a 1/2 carton of cherry tomatoes ( i guess i forgot to put them in the picture).
And I will eat every last bit of it before Morse Market (or Whole Foods) sees my overexcited face again.

In other news, look what showed up in my mailbox this week!

Oh yeah :).
This is pretty much THE BEST magazine I've ever read. If I'm having a bad day a new issue of  Whole Living will make it all better. I strongly urge everyone to read it. It's not a vegan mag but it encourages being omnivorous in a life promoting way and offers a ton of information on ways to enhance your day to day living. I've learned so much from this magazine and will probably subscribe to it until I am nintey-five. And it's cheap: 10 issues for $10  here ! I guarantee you it's worth it!  Yes, I do have an ulterior motive in getting you to suscribe--I want to have the joy of being able to say "Ohmygosh have you read the latest issue of Whole Living?! What did you think of.." to someone. I will love you forever if you will become that someone for me.

Finally, some stuffs I made today:
Ready for the juicer: beet greens, 2 carrots, 1 apple, 1 stalk of celery, handful of cherry tomoatoes, 1/2 of a large cucumber, 1 beet, 1/2 meyer lemon w/ rind, 1 inch piece of ginger, 2 small garlic cloves


Mushroom gravy and quinoa salad. Best lunch all week :)

Toodles!

2 comments:

  1. you definitely are addicted:) I agree with this new plan! (But hey, there are worse things to be addicted to lol)

    ReplyDelete